Network Engineer – Openreach Apprenticeship (Northern Ireland)
- Company: BT
- Location: Northern Ireland
- Closing Date: 01-05-2022
Network Engineers perform a vital role in our communities providing the latest broadband technologies that keep families in touch, ensure businesses continue working and help kids learn and play.
Our Network Engineers come from diverse backgrounds with varied experiences and are all passionate about delivering great customer service.
If you have an ability to connect with people, like fixing problems and want to make a difference, then we want you to apply.
Don’t be put off from applying because you haven’t done something similar before – we have the best training in the business to equip you with the new skills you need.
What does a network engineer’s day look like?
You might start your day in a customer’s home reconnecting them to the world. Then you’re off to fix a network problem at a local business. Next, you could be unscrambling the workings of a street cabinet on a village high street or bringing new smart technology to vulnerable households to help them stay in touch.
Each day will be different. You’ll solve different problems for different customers, in different places, and you’ll get to know your patch really well. There is a true sense of community in what we do, so people who connect easily with others and take care to do the best job possible are our perfect match.
Become a qualified network engineer
Here’s an idea of the kind of person we’re looking for. If any of this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you:
- I’m comfortable talking to people at their home or at work.
- I’m great at multitasking and managing my time.
- I get things done, and people know they can rely on me.
- I love that feeling of sorting something out for someone.
- I want to work in a role that keeps me interested. I like finding out how things work and learning how to fix them if they’re broken.
- I’m comfortable using smart devices, and I’m always happy to learn about new systems and tools to help me do my job better.
- I’d like a mix of working indoors and outdoors – I don’t want to be stuck behind a desk all day and I’m not afraid of heights.
- I’d love a job that keeps me fit and active, and I don’t mind if it sometimes involves getting a bit dirty.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
About the apprenticeship you’ll study for
As a Network Engineer for Openreach in Northern Ireland, you’ll study for a Level 3 apprenticeship in IT Software, Web & Telecoms. If you complete the course successfully, you’ll receive Level 3 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals and a Level 3 Diploma in ICT Systems and Principles.
- This apprenticeship is an 18 month structured programme designed to develop the skills that you need to excel.
- You’ll spend a minimum of 20% of your time learning and studying. You’ll need to complete one “study work” day a week.
Entry requirements : You’ll need to achieve (or be on course to achieve) a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grades 4-9 (C or above) including English Language and Maths. Equivalent qualifications are accepted.
Starting salary : £16,422